Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Marine 1-5 Town Odoh, Folarin, McDonald and Foulds fire Town into FA Cup second round

4 November 2023

Match Reports

Marine 1-5 Town Odoh, Folarin, McDonald and Foulds fire Town into FA Cup second round

4 November 2023

A clinical display helped Town reach the second round of the Emirates FA Cup and overcome a spirited Marine side in an entertaining clash at Marine Travel Arena.

Abraham Odoh opened the scoring, but Marine hit back through Chris Doyle from a corner, leading to a real end to end cup tie in the first half.

Sam Folarin had made sure Town went into the break ahead though as he chased down a long Matty Foulds clearance before rounding the 'keeper.

Folarin's second of the afternoon arrived just after the break and lead to a more comfortable half for Town, who added to the scoreline through Rod McDonald and Matty Foulds' first for the club to ensure their passage to Round Two.

Simon Weaver opted for Lewis Thomas over Friday's arrival Jonathan Mitchell between the sticks, while Folarin lead the line at the other end.

It took Town just five minutes to open the scoring as Josh Falkingham's cross deflected into the path of Odoh, whose first touch trapped the ball and set up a fierce shot that flew past Goddard at his near post.

Marine responded well to going behind and forced Thomas into action, the Town stopper doing well to keep out long range efforts from the hosts.

A series of set pieces followed for Marine and eventually lead to an equaliser in the 25th minute, Doyle heading home a wicked corner delivery at the far post.

A piece of individual alertness from Folarin restored Town's lead just three minutes later, the forward's blistering pace allowing him to latch onto Matty Foulds' clearance ahead of Marine goalkeeper Goddard and slide the ball into an empty net.

Conceding a second goal didn't knock the wind out of the Marine sails though, who were determined to make the game into a proper cup tie who again responded well, Finlay Sinclair-Smith striking the bar with a sweetly struck effort onto the crossbar.

Town then had Foulds to thank for keeping their half time lead in tact after a goalline clearance monents before the break stopped the hosts levelling for a second time and finishing off an intricate attacking move.

A mistake at the back allowed Town to increase their advantage seven minutes after the break, Folarin again profiting as he found himself through one on one and able to keep his cool to finish.

McDonald then got himself in on the act, bundling home Foulds' corner at the far post to claim his first in yellow and black.

With a three goal advantage, Weaver opted to mix things up, with Dean Cornelius, Jack Muldoon, Jeremy Sivi, Stephen Dooley and Josh March all given valuable minutes.

A Dooley corner would result in Town's fifth and final goal of the afternoon as the midfielder found Foulds to head home, the full back rounding off an excellent afternoon that included his first Town goal, two assists and two goal line clearances.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account