Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Super-sub Folarin the difference as Town take home 3 points against Colchester

21 October 2023

Match Reports

Super-sub Folarin the difference as Town take home 3 points against Colchester

21 October 2023

Simon Weaver and his players head back to Harrogate with three points as we came from behind to win 2-1 in this afternoon's trip to Colchester. Second half sub Sam Folarin stared by grabbing himself a goal and assist to see Town take home all three points.

Simon Weaver elected to make two changes to the starting lineup after last week’s defeat to league leaders Stockport.  

Levi Sutton was back in the squad for the first time since Town’s 1-0 away to MK Dons last month and he replaced skipper Josh Falkingham who dropped to the bench.Matty Foulds also came into the eleven for Liam Gibson after playing 90 minutes against Accrington in the EFL Trophy. 

It was a fast-paced start to the game with Colchester pressing on the front foot. Chilvers created the first chance of the game as his curling effort from the edge of the box narrowly went wide of the post.  

Shortly after on 10 minutes, Colchester had a golden chance to take the lead if it wasn’t for Mark Oxley who pulled off a fantastic double save. He was at full stretch on both occasions and at the second time of asking he tipped the ball away from danger. 

Apart from the early threat posed by the home side, chances were few and far between in the first half with Colchester recording the only two shots on goal. 

It was Colchester who made a bright start to the second half with Chilvers again being their creative spark. He drove through the middle of the park and clipped a delicate cross into Ihionvein who’s powerful header was matched by Oxley’s save.  

Simon Weaver looked to change things in attack with the pace of Sam Folarin as he replaced James Daly just before the hour mark. 

On 63 minutes, Colchester took the lead via a long-range effort from Chay Cooper. A cheap giveaway from Town resulted in a swift move stemming from McGeehan. The ball found its way to Cooper who had no option but to shoot, and his effort from outside the box found the top left corner. 

Less than 2 minutes later, Harrogate responded through Matty Daly.

The chance came from the substitute Folarin after receiving the ball on the wing, he jinked infield and threaded a perfectly weighted through ball into the path of Matty Daly who made no mistake on his left foot, firing the ball past Goodman the Colchester goal.  

Folarin caused further problems for Colchester’s back line as Greenidge was the first to enter the referee’s book on 72 minutes. 

The game opened up in the final 15 minutes with both teams aiming to snatch all three points and on the 80-minute mark, Sam Folarin did exactly that for Town as he curled a wicked effort into the top right corner after showing good patience to find a yard of space in the area.  

Matty Daly made way for Jack Muldoon late on with the aim of seeing the narrow win through. Colchester piled on the pressure looking for an equaliser in the final stages of the game with minutes feeling like hours for Town. 

Harrogate managed to see out the seven minutes off added time and earn a hard-fought win after some stern defending from. Kayne Ramsey put his body on the line and dug in to cut out the threats posed by The Ewe’s in the final seconds.  

That win put an end to the drought that Town have suffered over the last three years at the Colchester Community Stadium and meant that Town leapt up to 13th in the table.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account