Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

TOWN 3-5 Accrington Stanley - Town fall short despite late comeback attempt

10 October 2023

Match Reports

TOWN 3-5 Accrington Stanley - Town fall short despite late comeback attempt

10 October 2023

Despite a late comeback attempt Town fell to a 5-3 defeat at home to Accrington Stanley in the EFL Trophy this evening.

Town had been trailing 4-1 at the break, falling behind to goals from Lewis Trickett and Kody Adedoyin before Sam Folarin reduced the arrears only for Adedoyin to net twice before the break to complete his hat-trick.

A Joe Mattock free-kick and a second from Folarin cut the gap to 4-3 to set up a tense final ten minutes before a further strike from Trickett sealed the win.

Simon Weaver opted to utilise the strength in depth at his disposal, making ten changes from the side that came away with all three points from the trip to Newport at the weekend with Warren Burrell the only survivor.

There was a debut handed to goalkeeper Lewis Thomas whilst there was a welcome return to action for Stephen Dooley.

The visitors were much-changed too with John Coleman making seven changes to the side that beat Forest Green Rovers 2-1 in their last outing.

And it was the visitors who set the early tone with Adedoyin’s pace threatening the Town backline, but he scuffed his shot after hesitating when well set.

On seven minutes Jack Nolan fired over from just inside the box before Lewis Trickett snatched at an effort from distance.

Jack Muldoon was in the wars for Town, receiving close attention from the opposition midfield with one robust challenge from Jay Baghoulou going unpunished.

The visitors start to the game was rewarded just before the half-hour mark when Trickett put them ahead after ghosting in between two Town defenders to fire past Thomas after Joe Mattock had initially been dispossessed.

Just two minutes later Adedoyin profited from a good delivery from Nolan on the right-hand side to powerfully fire past Thomas.

Things were beginning to look bleak for Town but they got back into the game on 35 minutes. Toby Sims, with space on the right, delivered a pin-point ball to the feet of Folarin who lifted the ball over Jack McIntyre to halve the arrears.

Having got a break to get back in the game Town were left frustrated moments later when Dooley’s mis-placed pass was pounced upon and Adedoyin was set free to strike his second of the night.

Town had an opportunity in the opening minutes of the second-half when Jeremy Sivi broke down the left-hand side. He squared well for Muldoon, who teed up Folarin when he might well have shot and the attack broke down.

Adedoyin completed his hat-trick in the fiftieth minute when he capitalised on loose play from the Town defence to fire low beyond Thomas.

Folarin’s endeavour saw him win possession before being fouled on the edge of the area to see Town awarded a free-kick. Mattock stepped him to stroke the ball home beyond McIntyre and his wall to cut the deficit.

Mattock was guilty of giving away a free-kick at the other end that resulted in Nolan forcing a smart save from Thomas in the Town goal.

Shipley was then yellow-carded for hacking down a marauding Folarin with Town having stolen possession on the half-way line.

With twenty minutes remaining Academy graduate Finn O’Boyle was introduced in place of Sivi with Town still harbouring hopes of grabbing something from the game.

The visitor made a pair of changes with Leslie Adekoya ad Arron Pickles replacing Baghoulou and hat-trick man Adedoyin.

No sooner had they been introduced than Folarin struck his second to make it 4-3. A cross-field ball from Matty Foulds found its way to the Town forward who struck first-time beyond McIntyre.

O’Boyle went close in the final minutes before Trickett added his second with a minute remaining to cap the win.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account