Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

TOWN 0-1 Barrow - Town narrowly edged out in home defeat

2 September 2023

Match Reports

TOWN 0-1 Barrow - Town narrowly edged out in home defeat

2 September 2023

A first half strike from Kian Spence was the difference this afternoon as Town fell to a 1-0 defeat at home to Barrow.

In an even encounter, on another day they may have got something from the game and would rue a missed opportunity on the hour when Jack Muldoon’s spot kick was saved by Paul Farman.

As expected, there were a number of changes to the Town side after the side was heavily rotated for the midweek Carabao Cup tie against Blackburn. Back into the line-up came Josh Falkingham, James Daly, Anthony O’Connor, Rod McDonald and Matty Foulds.

Despite arriving on deadline day both Jeremy Sivi and Josh March were ineligible for the game.

The visitors made two changes to the side that earned a 1-1 draw against Stockport a week ago, Rory Feely and recent addition Dominic Telford coming into the side for David Worrall and Tyrell Warren.

The lively Spence was in action early for the visitors, with his shot in the opening minutes being blocked well by McDonald, a welcome intervention for a Town defence still smarting from Tuesday evening.

Town responded with a pair of corners that resulted in O’Connor finding space but the defender couldn’t direct his header on target. George Thomson then struck low and hard but well wide of the target.

It had been an even contest over the first twenty minutes or so but Barrow landed the first blow courtesy of a fine finish from Spence. Telford created space inside the Town half before freeing Spence who fired off a swerving effort that dipped and bent beyond a full-stretch Mark Oxley.

After not getting the rub of the green with one or two refereeing decisions Town saw Kayne Ramsay go into the book ten minutes before the break for what looked an innocuous challenge.

Town were forced into a change just before the break with Levi Sutton replaced by Abraham Odoh with what was an apparent injury.

James Daly had a golden opportunity to level maters just before half-time when Odoh’s ball split the backline. Daly got a step on his marker but couldn’t lift his effort over the advancing Paul Farman.

Moments later a long run from Foulds resulted him in meeting Thomson’s cross at the near post but his glancing header was tipped wide by Farman to preserve the visitors lead.

It was a bright start to the second half by Town, who enjoyed the majority of possession and territorial advantage. Substitute Odoh in particular was seeing plenty of the ball but Town couldn’t quite fashion the clear cut chance needed to test the Barrow backline.

Ten minutes into the half Telford could, and maybe should, have doubled the lead. The persistent Acquah retained possession and worked the ball out to Telford who fired low to force Oxley in to a low save.

Acquah himself a good chance soon after when Town didn’t clear the lines. With a clear line at goal he snatched at the chance and blazed well over Oxley’s bar.

Town’s chance came though on the hour mark when Feely was adjudged to have handled in the box. Muldoon stepped up after a lengthy delay but despite striking powerfully it was too close to Farman who saved and held onto the ball.

Simon Weaver made an immediate change by introducing Matty Daly in place of James Daly before the visitors made a trio of changes as they looked to consolidate their position.

With ten minutes remaining, and the game beginning to drift, Town threw on Liam Gibson in place of Muldoon, a move that saw Thomson pushed into a more attacking position.

Town pushed hard, as in fairness they had done throughout the game, but couldn’t breach a resolute visitors defence in the final stages despite an addiitonal five minues being played.




Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account