Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

TOWN 2-2 Sutton United - Late equaliser denies Town victory

13 April 2024

Match Reports

TOWN 2-2 Sutton United - Late equaliser denies Town victory

13 April 2024

A late goal from substitute Deon Moore denied Town victory this afternoon at The Envirovent Stadium as Sutton United fought back to earn a 2-2 draw.

Town had fallen behind to a first-half strike from Harry Beautyman before a second-half recovery saw goals from George Thomson and Jack Muldoon put Town 2-1 and on course for a vital three points before being pegged back at the very last.

Simon Weaver named the same side that started the 1-0 win against Grimsby Town in midweek after Liam Gibson, scheduled to return to the line-up after injury, was injured in the warm up.

For the visitors, defeated last time out at home to Stockport to end a run of four successive victories, there were two changes with Craig Eastmond and Ryan Jackson coming back into the side.

There was an early test for James Belshaw when Harry Smith let fly with a long-range free-kick which the Town keeper did well to turn away for a corner.

Town responded well though and went close on five minutes when Thomson’s cross was well met by Josh March to head at goal but Steve Arnold was equal to the task.

On the quarter hour mark March looked to have sprang the offside trap to take advantage of a clever Matty Daly through ball but as he was bearing down on goal a late flag frustratingly ended what looked a promising Town attack.

After 20 minutes Eastmond went into the book for a late – and heavy – challenge on Odoh that left the Town player floored and needing attention for several minutes.

Anthony O’Connor missed a great opportunity for Town midway through the first-half when he met Thomson’s free-kick but despite connecting powerfully his effort was high of the target.

There was a moment of concern minutes later when former-Town man Josh Coley fired a speculative volley at goal that Belshaw saw late and had to react sharply to gather.

The visitors were pressing the Town defence well and Smith then went close when his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

Ten minutes before the break Matty Foulds went into the book for a foul on his man by the touchline, much to the delight of the travelling  fans immediately in front of him.

Barely twenty seconds into first-half injury time the visitors grabbed the lead, probably deserved based on the balance of play. Coey did well down the right and squared for Beautyman to steer home beyond Belshaw.

Just like in midweek it didn’t take long for Town to make their mark after the break. Foulds won the ball well down the left and delivered an inch perfect ball for Thomson to slot home from just inside the area for his fourteenth league goal of the season.

Odoh then went close for Town after taking advantage of a slip by Jackson, but he was squeezed out before he get a shot away.  It was a positive opening ten minutes from Town, taking a control of the game lacking before the break.

The U’s responded with the first change of the afternoon that saw Eastmond replaced by Ollie Sanderson with Town’s first substitution coming on he hour mark with Jack Muldoon replacing March.

Levi Sutton was then inches away from threading a beautifully weighted ball through to Odoh as Town continued in search of a vital winner.

Continuing their positive approach Simon Weaver introduced Sam Folarin into the game with twenty minutes remaining in place of Odoh.

As was the case on Tuesday evening Sutton had to leave the fray early after suffering a knock. Stephen Dooley replaced him in midfield for the final fifteen minutes.

Thomson then blazed over from the edge of the area after snatching at his from a clearance before going close with a speculative attempt from just inside the Sutton half following a poor clearance from Arnold.

The decisive moment came with ten minutes remaining. Folarin’s pace was utilised with a ball over the top. The substitute retained a possession and remained patient before squaring for Muldoon to strike his finish beyond Arnold to make to 2-1.

The goal set up a tense final spell with visitors desperate to get something from the game but with Town looking like they were closing the game out substitute Moore fired low beyond Belshaw to grab a point.

Muldoon went close in the final minute when he had a one-on-one with Arnold but the Sutton keeper stood up tall to deflect the danger away and leave both sides having to settle for a point.








Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account