Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Match Report - U18s held in a deadlock against Mansfield

19 January 2024

Match Reports

Academy Match Report - U18s held in a deadlock against Mansfield

19 January 2024

Town come away with a point in a goalless draw against a defensively sound Mansfield side.

After a narrow defeat away to Huddersfield Town last timeout, Rory McArdle and his side were looking to put things right against a strong Mansfield side who came into this one brimming with confidence after a win against Doncaster.

Coming into this one, McArdle stressed the importance of the players starting brightly and said that “they are chomping at the bit to get going.”

As for team news, Town made three changes to the team who started against Huddersfield with Mooney, Pow, O’Boyle entering the fray and looking to make an impact.

Town started the match just as they set out to do as inside 2 minutes, O’Boyle jinked past a couple of Mansfield defenders in the box following a corner before hitting a shot which was heading for the corner, but it deflected wide of the post.

Shortly after, Town continued to put Mansfield under pressure as Brodella led a high press, won the ball back and started a lovely sweeping move. The ball was eventually cut back to O’Boyle who found himself free on the edge of the box, however his shot only found the hands of the keeper.

The first 20 minutes was all one-way traffic with Brodella looking the likely man to break the deadlock for the home side when he made a darting run through the centre and looked destined to score, but the ball slowed up which allowed the Mansfield to get back into position and cut out the danger.

It was on 37 minutes when Mansfield had their first real sight of goal. Abdullah had a golden opportunity to put the visitors one nil up as he attempted to dink Mooney, but he made himself big to smother his effort.

Mansfield improved as the half went on and looked to push for the opening goal late on in the half, but the score was still tied going into the break.

The second half continued in the same vain as the first with neither team looking to take any big risks and were more than happy to keep the ball in possession.

On 52 minutes, Bray brought the game to life as his strike rattled the crossbar from 18 yards out. A quick counter attacking move which stemmed from an acute turn from Brodella resulted in Bray working an angle to get his shot off but the scoreline remained the same.

Chances few and far between in the second half for both sides however the Town midfield still showed confidence to get on the ball take the game to the visitors.

King for Mansfield was inches away from putting his side in the lead on 70 minutes as he shifted the ball onto his right foot but just dragged his effort wide. Mooney was at full stretch.

Substitute Wilson made an instant impact on the game by linking up with Bray well but overall, a frustrating day for both teams who will feel they had chances to win the game but were wasteful in the final third.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account