Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Harrogate Town 3-1 Doncaster Rovers - Town secure Derby double with 3-1 win

6 January 2024

Match Reports

Harrogate Town 3-1 Doncaster Rovers - Town secure Derby double with 3-1 win

6 January 2024

Town made it a Yorkshire Derby double over Doncaster Rovers with a 3-1 win at The Envirovent Stadium.

The sides were level at the break as Sam Folarin's opener was cancelled out by visiting skipper Tommy Rowe, but a strong second half performance ensured Harrogate claimed the points.

James Daly's first for the club restored the lead for his side, before an excellent individual effort from Abraham Odoh put the result beyond doubt.

Simon Weaver made one change to his side from New Years Day's draw at Morecambe as Stephen Dooley returned to the starting lineup.

After a fairly uneventful opening quarter of an hour the contest burst into life with two goals just two minutes apart.

Town would strike first through Sam Folarin, he exchanged passes with Abraham Odoh and sidefooted past Louis Jones in the Doncaster goal.

Donny hit back almost instantly though through Captain Tommy Rowe, who unleashed an unstoppable effort from just outside the area.

Kayne Ramsay would go close next for Town, firing over the bar, before the visitors began to enjoy a spell of possession.

Most of Grant McCann's side's threat was coming down the left through Modou Faal, but Ramsay and Dean Cornelius were able to block both his efforts.

The best chance for either side to take a half time lead fell to Odoh after Jack Muldoon had held the ball up well and found his teammate. Odoh's first touch set up a finish, but he dragged his effort across goal and just wide of the post.

Faal did have another late chance, but his eight yard effort deflected off Liam Gibson and over the bar.

Weaver was forced into a change at half time as goalscorer Folarin was unable to continue, James Daly his replacement.

Both sides had big chances at the start of the second half, but couldn't make them count.

First Luke Molyneux volleyed over from close range after Rowe had picked him out, just minutes before Matty Foulds' corner wasn't cleared and nearly allowed Thomson to poke home from close range.

Town would retake the lead in the 66th minute through half time substitute Daly who claimed his first in a Town shirt.

Thomson found the overlapping run of Ramsay who dinked the ball to the far post where Daly got the better of his man to slide the ball home.

It was three for the home side under ten minutes later as Odoh scored the pick of the afternoon's goals, dribbling infield from the left and sending an unstoppable effort into the top corner.

With a two goal lead, Town looked comfortable in the final 20 minutes and secured an important three points that lifts Weaver's side to 11th in SkyBet League Two.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account