Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Harrogate Town 1 Gainsborough Trinity 2

14 October 2017

Gainsborough Trinity eliminated Harrogate Town from the Emirates FA Cup on Saturday afternoon with a 2-1 win at The CNG Stadium.

Town had led at half time through Josh Falkingham's strike, but saw their advantage vanish seconds after the restart as Nathan Jarman headed home a free kick.
Trinity then took the lead on the hour mark as Michael Jacklin converted a corner at the back post, and though Town threw men forward looking for an equaliser, it never arrived as Simon Weaver's side suffered a second defeat in their last 19 matches.
Town made one enforced change from last weekend as Ben O'Hanlon replaced the injured Ben Parker; Josh Falkingham captained the side.
It took Town just two minutes to create the first chance of the game as Joe Leesley met Jordan Thewlis' right wing cross, but headed over the bar.
Leesley did better with his second header just six minutes later as he directed Jack Emmett's dinked cross below the bar, only for Henrich Ravas to tip over.
The visitors' first opportunity came midway through the half as, after his initial free kick hit a hand the wall, Nathan Jarman's strike from the edge of the box was blocked by Ryan Fallowfield.
With just over ten minutes to go until the break, Falkingham broke the deadlock; charging in from midfield to finish after George Thomson's long range strike had been parried.
It could have been two a couple of minutes later as Jordan Thewlis was a fraction away from converting Fallowfield's pacy cross, but couldn't provide the final touch.
Thewlis did have the ball in the net in the last action of the half after beating Ravas one on one, only to look up and see the linesman's flag raised for offside.
The Holy Blues equalised just 30 seconds into the second half after a questionably awarded free kick whipped in by Craig King was headed into the top corner by Jarman.
Despite Thewlis and Leesley both going close to putting Town ahead, Trinity turned the tie on its' head on the hour mark as Jacklin's back post header saw Town again concede from a set piece.
Emmett nearly levelled the scores moments later racing through from midfield and lifting the ball over the goalkeeper, only for Ravas to again save at full stretch.
Second half substitute Mitch Curry was next to go close, but couldn't get the right contact on Emmett's cross to trouble Ravas who saved comfortably.
Noel Burdett was introduced, and Terry Kennedy thrown up front in an effort to find an equaliser, though it wasn't to be as Town again exited the FA Cup at the 4th Qualifying Round stage.
Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, O'Hanlon, Falkingham, Kennedy, Burrell, Thomson, Emmett, Leesley, Thewlis (Burdett 79), Agnew (Curry 65)
Subs not used: Vann, Cracknell, Middleton
Goals: Falkingham 34
Booked: Thewlis, Falkingham
Gainsborough: Ravas, Lacey, Taylor. Clarke, Stansfield, Jacklin, King, Davie (Richards 58), Jarman, Worsfold (Hare 79), Wells (Evans 66)
Subs not used: Simmons, Storey
Goals: Jarman 46, Jacklin 60
Referee: J Matthews
Attendance: 928

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account