Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Thomson and O'Connor fire Town to win in Wales

7 October 2023

Match Reports

Thomson and O'Connor fire Town to win in Wales

7 October 2023

George Thomson and Anthony O'Connor strike either side of half time as Town claim all three points away at Newport

A George Thomson long range effort and Anthony O'Connor finish were enough for Town to claim all three points from their trip to Rodney Parade.

Will Evans' 58th minute finish made it a nervy ending to the game, but Town held on to claim a second straight win away at the South Wales club.

Simon Weaver made two changes from the midweek tie with Wimbledon as Josh March made his first start since returning to the club, replacing Sam Folarin, while James Daly came in for Jeremy Sivi.

Rod McDonald had been due to start, but a late fitness check ruled the defender out, with Warren Burrell taking his place and Toby Sims coming onto the bench.

Town started the warm afternoon well with March looking lively from the start, helping his side win early corners, but they were dealt with by the hosts.

It was Newport who would be the first to test the goalkeeper as Mark Oxley kept out Scot Bennett's drive that could have proved difficult.

Bryn Morris had the best chance of the half for the Welsh side, but couldn't make a clean connection when the ball dropped to him between the penalty spot and six-yard box.

Town took the lead three minutes before the end of the first half when top scorer Thomson claimed his fourth of the season. After great work from Matty Daly down the left, the midfielder struck the ball low and hard past Nick Townsend from just outside the area.

Town doubled their lead seven minutes after the restart when Thomson's corner was attacked at the near post by March, but ended up being bundled in at the far post by O'Connor.

Newport Manager Graham Coughlan looked to the bench in response to being two down and his changes had an instant impact.

Substitute Lewis Payne found space on the right and sent in a teasing low ball that Evans was able to convert at the far post.

With 30 minutes to play, Town knew the pressure was going to arrive from County, though in O'Connor and Burrell the hosts found themselves up against an inspired centre half pairing who helped limit the chances the home side could produce.

Newport nearly had themselves back on level terms in the 86th minute, but Wildig's header hit the outside of the upright and bounced clear.

Dean Cornelius' crucial late block would end all hopes of a Newport comeback, as Town took the points back to Yorkshire.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account