Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report - Thomson strike secures three points in Walsall visit

11 November 2023

Match Reports

Match report - Thomson strike secures three points in Walsall visit

11 November 2023

Second half substitue George Thomson’s long-range strike was the differences as Town made it five away wins in a row in this afternoon's 1-0 victory over Walsall.

Town boss Simon Weaver made two changes from the side which secured FA Cup progression last weekend against Marine. Jonathan Mitchell was called in between the sticks after signing on a short-term deal little over a week ago. 

He was joined by Jack Muldoon stepping up from a bench which included Liam Gibson following his return from injury. 

A succession of Walsall corners within the first few minutes called Rod McDonald into action as well as the debutant Mitchell who had to front up two good deliveries from Stirk.

Folarin brought the first Town chance on the counter, using his pace to skip past McEntee down the right touchline, his cross was a good one but just couldn’t make its way to Muldoon.

The best chance of the half came when Odoh latched onto some slack Walsall defensive passing, the wide man slid through Matty Daly who saw Muldoon in space, but the Walsall defence cut out the chance before it brought glory.

Town pressed relentlessly and their efforts were finding pockets of success with continuous pressure.

Walsall 'keeper Evans almost handed Town an easy opportunity as a stray pass found Daly, who just couldn’t adjust himself before Daniels’ recovery spared his keepers’ blushes.

Grit and determination were the order of the first 30 minutes as Sutton and Falkingham were working tirelessly to cut out passing avenues after being put slightly on the backfoot from a home side with a spring in their step.

40 minutes in Matty Foulds snuffed out an almost certain goal from Hutchinson late in the second half as the full-back galloped behind the on-rushing Mitchell to stand guard on the goal line and send it for a corner.

Town began to dominate play towards the end of the half, Odoh was narrowly caught offside, cutting off the opportunity for a 1v1.

Rod McDonald proved vital as he glided across the pitch to cut out a marauding run from Daniels, he got himself in between the man and the ball to win a free kick and keep the score level as the whistle blew despite the home side racking up 13 shots.

The second half got under way much like the first, with Walsall building up slowly and looking like they would knock on the door.

Substitutions came for Town on the 60th minute as Levi Sutton came off for Dean Cornelius, instantly providing a quick impact for the approach play as the Scotsman’s pass found Falkingham, who neatly chipped the ball to Ramsay on the right wing.

But his cross was blocked, and the looping ball was touched well by Muldoon. From which Falkingham moved well again into space and his cut back to Daly set up a vital save from Evans.

As the final 10 minutes beckoned, Walsall were still looking for a breakthrough. Hutchinson hit the post with a low left footed shot that had beaten an outstretched Mitchell. It would be the first of two quickfire woodwork hitting efforts from the saddlers.

In the end it took until 5 minutes shy of normal time for Town to finally get the edge on the scoresheet…

The move began with Odoh in the middle of the Walsall half, a quick overlap to Ramsay on the right flank allowed a ball to be laid centrally to Thomson. He unleashed a low shot from the edge of the box with deathly accurate strike into the bottom corner.

The Victory boosts Towns already stellar away record to five wins overall and four on the spin in Sky Bet League Two.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account